Hey all, Josh McFaddin here! Today we are back at it with another sausage video! In this installment, I whip up a tasty maple syrup breakfast sausage from scratch. Then I take those freshly made sausages and create a mouth-watering “Wild Game Sausage-Gravy & Biscuits” dish that’ll be sure to knock your boots off. So stick around and click the video below to see how it’s done. Then, keep on scrolling for the step-by-step recipe to do it all yourself. Cheers!
The first step is to learn how to make the maple syrup breakfast sausage. Which can all be found below & for further information on how to make sausages, check out my last video here!
Maple Syrup Breakfast Sausages
What you need:
- 3 pounds of ground meat
- 2 pounds venison
- 1 pound pork
- ½ Cup onion, fine dice
- Tablespoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried sage leaves (1 teaspoon if ground)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ Cup maple syrup
Wild Game Sausage and Biscuit Gravy
Next up is a toe-tappin’ Sausage-Gravy & Biscuit dish that’ll be sure to impress!
What you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅓ Cup chopped parsley
- 1 Cup of milk
- ½ Cup butter, melted
- 1-½ Cup shredded cheese
- 1 pound Chopped breakfast sausages
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- ¼ Cup of all-purpose flour
- 1-2 Cups of milk
- Salt + Pepper to taste
How to make them:
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- In a large mixing bowl, toss in all of your dry ingredients and mix them around real nice.
- Add the milk, butter, parsley, and cheese. Fold it all together with a spatula just until everything comes together, there’s no need to overwork this dough.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment or a floured surface and roll to about ¾” thickness. Cut into circles or squares and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Toss in the oven for about 12-14 minutes. For a more crispy top, leave them in a touch longer.
- While the biscuits bake, toss your chopped sausages in a hot pan and cook until brown. Break them apart as you go, you want smaller nickel-sized pieces.
- When the sausages have browned nicely, add the butter, let it melt, and stir to coat the sausage pieces well.
- Now add the flour, slowly dusting it over the sausages, and stir as you go. You want to cook this flour just a touch, about a minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add your milk, stirring constantly. You may want to add 1 Cup of milk, allow it to thicken, then slowly add your second cup to get the desired consistency. As the gravy temperature rises, the flour will start to thicken the milk.
- Add salt + pepper to taste, stir it in well, and your sausage gravy + biscuits are done.
- Enjoy the warm biscuits with butter or the sausage gravy poured over the top. Add chopped green onion to the top and enjoy!