How To Cook Black Bear Fajitas - HuntFishMB Recipes
Manitoba's spring black bear season opens today! To kick the bear season off, let's start with this awesome recipe idea from Josh Mcfaddin.
In this recipe, Josh sparks up a fire after an afternoon of shed hunting and teaches you how to properly prepare and cook black bear meat. Then, he shows off a simple and delicious Black Bear Fajitas recipe for you to try at home.
You can find the full video and written recipe below.
What you’ll need:
- 1 whole bear bottom round. (any cut from the hind leg or the backstrap will do)
- 1 can of beer
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Salt + pepper
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package taco or fajita seasoning
- Small corn or flour tortillas
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Your favourite hot sauce
- 1 lime
How to do it:
- Cut the bear meat in half by slicing horizontally + parallel with the cutting board. Thinner cuts will allow for a faster cook time and better marinade penetration.
- Add the marinade ingredients to a sealable bag or plastic container, making sure that all of the meat is coated well. Store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Grill the bear meat on all sides until an internal temperature of at least 150F is reached.
- Allow the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- As the meat rests, over a hot pan add a splash of canola oil to a hot pan and saute the peppers + onions.
- As they cook, season with taco or fajita seasoning. You don’t want to cook the vegetables until they’re overdone and soggy. Heat them up quickly and they’re ready once they start to soften slightly.
- Quickly heat your tortilla over the flames, this will take seconds.
- Slice the bear meat thinly and against the grain.
- Dress the warmed tortillas with bear meat, the pepper + onion mix, and top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce, and a squeeze of lime.
- Feel free to add your favorite salsa on top or a slice of avocado.
To find more HuntFishMB Recipes, like this How-to cook black bear fajitas, visit our HuntFishMB Recipes Playlist on YouTube.
For more information on Black Bear Hunting in Manitoba, visit our Hunting page.
*For More Information on Covid-19 social distancing measures, visit the Manitoba Government Covid-19 website.