One of the biggest staple recipes when cooking any kind of is the classic deep-fried “Fish and Chips” dish. From walleye to pike, to perch, and almost anything in between you can create this delicious and easy recipe in just a few easy steps. In this HuntFishMB Recipe video, Josh McFaddin goes into detail on how to deep-fry fish and chips to perfection and covers a few simple tips and tricks to hopefully help you improve upon your deep frying game.
Best Fish + Chips: The Basics for the Best Results
What you’ll need (for 2 servings)
- 4 perch or walleye fillets
- Dry flour-based fish coating/batter
- Try my secret recipe: https://www.catchandcook.net/
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into fries
- A deep fryer or pot with enough oil to fully submerge the fish + potatoes
How to do it:
- Heat your oil to 375 degrees.
- Wet the fish fillets with water or beer, then dip into your dry batter. The wetness will allow for more coating to stick to the fish, making for a more flavourful and crispy coating. Repeat the process for an extra special experience.
- Gently lower the fish into the hot oil and monitor your temperature. If your temp drops below 350, you will end up with a soggy final product. Monitor the temperature and increase the heat to the oil if needed. Your fish will cook very quickly.
- Once golden brown, it’s ready to remove.
- Now, the secret here is to place the fish on a wire rack to drip dry. Placing on paper towels or stacking pieces will result in soggy fish. Just give it some space to breathe.
- add the raw potatoes to the hot oil and let them do their thing.
- When they start to brown slightly, remove them from the oil and place them in a bowl for a few minutes. What you are wanting to achieve here is a “Double Fry”. When the fries have a chance to cool, the moisture in the centre will find its way to the outside, usually making your fry soggy. Placing them back into the hot oil a second time will further boil out the internal moisture, resulting in a dryer and more crispy fry.
- Once the double-fry is accomplished, season the hot fries with a quality salt and eat them immediately.
- The best potato fries are the ones where you need to fan your mouth and constantly make mention of how hot they are on the inside.
- Put it all together, add your favourite sauces, and enjoy! I personally love a little dripping of Sriracha hot sauce as an excellent finishing move!
To find more HuntFishMB Recipes like this How-to deep-fry fish episode, visit our HuntFishMB Recipes Playlist on YouTube.
For more information on Ice Fishing in Manitoba, visit our Ice Fishing page.
*For More Information on Covid-19 social distancing measures, visit the Manitoba Government Covid-19 website.