Spring wild turkey season in Manitoba has come and gone, and fall wild turkey is nearing. No matter when you get out, the ultimate goal is always the same… Put some clean, organic wild turkey meat in the freezer. In this HuntFishMB Recipe segment, Josh McFaddin creates a perfect way to utilize your wild turkey meat, and it comes in the form of this delicious Greek Pita Wrap. This is a perfect snack to enjoy at the lake, after a day in the woods, or just at home.
The full recipe video and written recipe video can be found below.
What you need:
- 4 fresh medium pitas
- 1 large wild turkey breast, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 onion, slice ½ and dice the other ½
- ⅓ English cucumber, diced
- 1 container Greek yogurt
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped oregano (1 teaspoon of dried)
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 lemon, for zest and juice
- ½ a head of romaine lettuce, shaved.
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or fine diced
- Crumbled feta
- 8 fresh mint leaves (optional)
How to make it:
- Marinade the wild turkey chunks in half of the yogurt, juice from half of the lemon, lemon zest, sliced onion, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, oregano, and some salt + pepper.
- Mix together well and refrigerate in a zip bag or plastic container for at least a couple of hours or overnight.
- Skewer the marinated chunks of wild turkey meat and grill until cooked through to 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the skewers cook, mix the tzatziki sauce.
- Add the remaining ½ container of greek yogurt to a bowl. Squeeze in the remaining ½ lemon, add the cucumber, chopped parsley, 2 crushed garlic cloves and add salt + pepper to taste.
- Mix well. You can add in thinly sliced mint at this point if you like.
- Remove skewers from the grill and warm up the pitas over the grill for just a few seconds per side or until softened.
- Place the cooked wild turkey meat lengthwise across the pita, top with lettuce, diced onion, crumbled feta, and tzatziki.
- Fold it up and it’s ready to enjoy!
To find more cooking segments like this, visit our HuntFishMB Recipes Playlist on YouTube.
For more information on Hunting in Manitoba, visit our Hunting page.
Celebrate the experience of hunting in Manitoba, submit your harvest to the Manitoba Master Hunter Program.
*For More Information on Covid-19 social distancing measures, visit the Manitoba Government Covid-19 website.